Re: [gnome-flashback] [gnome-panel] Pass --session-name from desktop files.

Hi Alberts,

Am 09.12.2013 15:12, schrieb Alberts Muktupāvels:

    In short, I don't think this should ever have passed the bugzilla
    review
    - there was a reason Jeremy Bicha and myself both independently
    introduced a wrapper script, and that reason is that it is needed
    - not
    all display managers can pass on parameters in this way. (If memory
    serves, GDM3 is one that cannot, and is most certainly a target DM
    for us.)

In short, you are saying something you have not checked, right?

No, I am telling you about a problem I have encountered, while testing
the flashback session against other distributions.

Seems gdm 3.8  has no problems passing parameters.
Aaaaand of course we still need to support older GDM releases, GDM 3.4
specifically. Look at the buttload of bug reports about the GDM 3-8 /
gnome-shell 3.8 interdependency if you need a reason.

Also what is creating .xsession-errors-flashback file? Should not log
files be auto created if needed? Your script will never log anything
to .xsession-errors-flashback, because file does not exist. This makes
this script even less useful.

As documented, this is a debugging facility. The interdependence of
session file, gnome-session and gnome-panel means that in even the
slightest misconfiguration, all the user will see is the fail screen.
Tell him to touch that file, try to login, and then mail the file in.
Easy, right ?

And next thing - why should we care about display managers which does
not support exec line with parameters?
Because they are out there, being used by real users.

If display manager does not support it, it is dm's problem not ours.
Don't you agree?
Nope, I don't.

Cheers
  Philipp