Re: Proposal: GNOME Docs String Freeze

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 07:41 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 7:22 AM, Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org> wrote:
FWIW, I agree with Andre that it's better to have correct documentation
shipped than incorrect with translations.  I know this last cycle, I was
fixing bugs right up until the release, which I know can be frustrating for
translators, but we had some old bugs I could fix.

All of GNOME has bugs. With this proposal, you can still fix bugs at
any time in master but some bugfixes are just too late to be shipped
to stable distros immediately.

Regarding bugs in code, we have a hard code freeze before a .0 release
- you'd need to ask the release-team for a freeze break if you consider
the bug and your bugfix important enough to be potentially included.

I mean if a distro absolutely does not care about translations, they
are welcome to cherry-pick commits from master or even ship git
snapshots of master, but I doubt Ubuntu is the only distro that will
benefit from more completely translated user help.

I think we all care about translations. However, translating text which
is known to be wrong (and hence will get changed soon anyway and hence
needs to get re-translated) does not sound like the best use of
translators' time. That's a different situation than fixing code.

Apart from a nice looking number in press releases, I don't see much
sense in "100% translated user help in XY languages" if the translated
user help actually helps no users because its content is known to be
wrong. I'd say it helps more users if the user help is correct but not
yet translated, as at least some users might understand English.

(I admit I also believe in "Better to have no docs than wrong docs".)

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/