Re: Proposal: GNOME Docs String Freeze

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 02:14 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
On 2017-05-30 23:10, Andre Klapper wrote:
My understanding is that the currently non-existing documentation
string freeze is a result of missing (wo)manpower and the tight
release schedule. Assuming that any "late" changes are actual bug
fixes and not cosmetic changes (please correct me if I'm wrong), I'd
prefer correct documentation in English to incorrect (but translated)
documentation.

Due to a lack of manpower it will never be perfect, of course, and the
later a change is made, the greater is the risk that all the translator
teams won't catch up. But isn't it somewhat contradictory to ship
'translated' docs with strings which the translators have not even had a
fair *chance* to translate?

Of course that's something to avoid - that's why I differentiated
between cosmetic late changes and late bug fixes. As long as there are
not so many people working on our docs, shipping incorrect (but
translated) docs to users sounds worse to me than shipping correct
English docs. Would you disagree with this?

(Many things feel contradictory when there are limited resources. I
don't think that's avoidable. If we had way less translators, would we
discuss an earlier string freeze so translators have more time?)

I for one see Jeremy's proposal as a reasonable step in the right direction.

I'd also agree with Jeremy, //once GNOME had way more people working on
docs//.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net