Re: Proposal: GNOME Docs String Freeze

On 2017-05-31 08:40, Andre Klapper wrote:
On 2017-05-30 23:10, Andre Klapper wrote:
My understanding is that the currently non-existing
documentation string freeze is a result of missing (wo)manpower
and the tight release schedule. Assuming that any "late" changes
are actual bug fixes and not cosmetic changes (please correct me
if I'm wrong), I'd prefer correct documentation in English to
incorrect (but translated) documentation.

Due to a lack of manpower it will never be perfect, of course, and
the later a change is made, the greater is the risk that all the
translator teams won't catch up. But isn't it somewhat
contradictory to ship 'translated' docs with strings which the
translators have not even had a fair *chance* to translate?

Of course that's something to avoid - that's why I differentiated between cosmetic late changes and late bug fixes. As long as there are not so many people working on our docs, shipping incorrect (but translated) docs to users sounds worse to me than shipping correct English docs. Would you disagree with this?

Well.. If you restrict "bug fixes" to directly misleading guidance, then I agree on 'better correct than translated'.

I look at this from my Ubuntu POV and the desktop guide of the latest LTS (long term support) release, where 7 languages are literally 100% translated, and another 14 languages are >90% translated. Late changes are always an annoyance to translator teams with a high level of ambition.

Now I'm going to encourage the Ubuntu translator teams to be at least as good at translating gnome-user-docs upstream as they previously were at translating the ubuntu-docs package via Launchpad. (Some of them already are, fortunately.) That won't give us more docs writers, but hopefully it will help improve the translation coverage a little bit.

I for one see Jeremy's proposal as a reasonable step in the right
direction.

I'd also agree with Jeremy, //once GNOME had way more people working
on docs//.

I hear what you say. ;)

Rgds,

--