Re: DH planning meeting

2010/6/18 Phil Bull <philbull gmail com>:

> OK, shall we skip this week (it's short notice), arrange one for next
> week and perhaps advertise the meeting a little on the planets?

We can have a presence online anyway if somebody needs help, but we
can schedule something better for the next week.

> I was thinking of doing something similar to Ubuntu's "One Hundred
> Papercuts" [1]; having a good, up-to-date task list and quick reviews
> should encourage new contributors.

That's a great idea! Yes, we need a pretty good list of small tasks.

> Before we can do this, we need to make sure that new contributors can
> get a working version of gnome-shell installed on their computer
> relatively easily. There's an Ubuntu PPA, but it was broken last time I
> checked. Any ideas?

I think we may have a hard time here...
Last time I checked jhbuild (and it was kind of 2 weeks ago), it
wasn't compiling. I don't know how the situation is now.
For the gnome-shell, instead, I use their script to compile it, and it
works pretty well: the problem is that (for me) is an half-baked
experience, since I'm not using the latest version of GNOME, but the
last stable release, so it's not the real whole experience, but it
gives you a pretty good idea about how the shell works.

I never checked out the PPA, but using a PPA means people have to be
on a Debian-based distribution (don't even know if it will work on
Debian though). It's an option for some, but not for all.

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <miloc gnome org>