Re: Terminology: app, window, workspace, part of the window, file, folder

Hi folks,

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:04, Phil Bull <philbull gmail com> wrote:

>> +1 from a localization POV. Finding translations for terminology based
>> on proper words may be difficult enough sometimes. Attempting to
>> translate slang is even more difficult, and sometimes even impossible.

from my translator POV, I have to say that using "app" or
"application" will not change a lot: I will continue to translate it
as if it was written "application". I'm talking about my language
here, where "app" is really really informal and used mainly for
informal talking.

> I disagree; "app" is an abbreviation of a real word, so it's not
> completely invented.

The freedictionary, FWIW, lists "app" as a valid word (abbreviation of
"application"); also the Merriam-Webster (both as an abbreviation and
as a valid noun) (I don't know other valid English vocabulary
resources online...).

> I don't think it approaches the informality of a
> slang word, and it's entered common usage, so on that basis I think it
> would be a fine candidate. I am struggling to think of occasions when
> I've heard a user talk about "applications", however. If it's an issue
> for translation though, then that's enough to kill this recommendation.

For me, it's not really that an issue... As long as we have somewhere
written that "app" (or "apps") stands for "application", and
translators are aware of this guideline, it is possible to translate
that word into whatever one's language sees fit.

Just a note: I have a rather recent version of the iPhone user's guide
(downloaded it), and they use "application" and "applications", same
as in a Nexus One user's guide.

> I'd like to point out the importance of choosing words that people
> *understand* rather than words that are *traditional* or *correct*.
> Often, the three will coincide, but in my opinion the first property is
> the most desirable.

Personally, I find it a little bit weird while writing help and using
"app": I wrote a small topic for gbrainy the other day, and use "app"
for that (I think I also left it there). Maybe it's just a matter of
getting used to it, but it felt a little bit strange, too informal to
me.

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <miloc gnome org>