Re: Terminology: app, window, workspace, part of the window, file, folder

Hi Phil,

Am Donnerstag, den 23.12.2010, 00:11 +0000 schrieb Phil Bull:
> Hi guys,
>
> Shaun and I discussed some terminology recommendations at the developer
> docs/tools hackfest in Berlin. We managed to get a few finished, but I
> think we should push to get some reasonably complete guidelines together
> soon-ish, since they're a prerequisite for the new Desktop Help. Now is
> also a good time to fix UI string recommendations before the GNOME Shell
> hits the mainstream.

One addition to the terms:

We should strictly distinguish between mouse and keyboard actions.
Examples:

To perform this action, click on <gui>Apply</gui>.
To perform this action, press <key>Enter</key>.

This is unique for the user to decide whether he has to click on a
button in the UI or to press a key on his keyboard. But some (or
actually a lot of) manuals show explanations like this:

To perform this action, press the <gui>Apply</gui> button.

In fact, we cannot "press" a button. The physical process "to press"
isn't adaptable to a virtual object. Instead, we "click" with the mouse
or another pointing device.

Cheers,
Mario