Re: Terminology: app, window, workspace, part of the window, file, folder

Hi Mario,

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 21:35 +0100, Mario Blättermann wrote:
> To fill up the style guide with real content, we should have a look at
> the current Mallard docs. It contains some pages which actually refers
> to styling topics. Some pages should be moved to the style guide, e.g.
> the "Ten Minute Tour" and some other things.

I think the idea is to keep the Mallard stuff desktop-neutral. Shaun
wants Mallard to be used outside of GNOME, so we should keep things that
are useful for all Mallard users on the Project Mallard website. The
style guidelines I committed the other day are GNOME-specific, though.

> In fact, we need the Mallard manual as a technical reference only. All
> things which refer to styling, should appear in the style guide. With
> cross references to the Mallard manual, we could lead the authors. Keep
> in mind, we have potential authors without XML skills. If they write
> their stuff as plain text, we can make formatted XML from. For the other
> folks with XML experiences, we have the Mallard docs. The style guide
> itself may include links to the appropriate pages in Mallard.

That's a good point. The Style Guide should probably be markup-neutral.
It's intended for UI strings too, so application developers will be
using it.

> The Mallard manual needs an update anyway. The old "Migration guide" is
> obsolete, but we need a new one (as part of the Mallard manual) which
> explains how to setup the build stack for yelp-tools.

Thanks,

Phil
--
Phil Bull