Re: Terminology: app, window, workspace, part of the window, file, folder

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 09:55 +0100, Mario Blättermann wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 23.12.2010, 00:11 +0000 schrieb Phil Bull:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Shaun and I discussed some terminology recommendations at the
> developer
> > docs/tools hackfest in Berlin. We managed to get a few finished, but
> > think we should push to get some reasonably complete guidelines
> together
> > soon-ish, since they're a prerequisite for the new Desktop Help. Now
> is
> > also a good time to fix UI string recommendations before the GNOME
> Shell
> > hits the mainstream.
>
> One addition to the terms:
>
> We should strictly distinguish between mouse and keyboard actions.
> Examples:
>
> To perform this action, click on <gui>Apply</gui>.
> To perform this action, press <key>Enter</key>.

I think Phil and I discussed this, and agreed on this. You click an
on-screen button. You press a mechanical button. If I'm not mistaken,
this distinction is already in our current style guidelines.

(Phil and I did have some disagreement over whether to use click when
referring to the physical mouse button, like "click the left mouse
button".)

--
Shaun