Re: [Fwd: Desktop User Guide Section 1.2.2 Window Shortcut Keys]

Hi Phil,

I use the keys on a 10in 1024px x 600px screen Netbook running Ubuntu
Netbook remix. Ubuntu Maximus
http://lifehacker.com/5609147/use-maximus-to-go-full+screen-in-ubuntu
starts most windows maximized with title bars removed to conserve space.
I would have to mouse up to the top panel to flip between them. I often
work bouncing around on the bus and the touchpad can generate false
clicks. alt-tab is ideal for changing windows. There is still some
screen resizing. With no title bar there is no single mouse click to
resize the window (that I have found so far). alt-F5/alt-F10 are ideal
in this situation. I find it can be very hard to grab the edges of the
screen with the touchpad for the odd finer grain resize hence Alt + F7
and Alt + F8.

So it's not classic accessibility need but as frequently happens, good
accessibility is good for everyone.

Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 16:19 -0400, Greg Knittl wrote:
>> Re confirming the action:
>> too broad: "press any key"
>> too narrow (but correct): "Enter key" (Space key does not confirm on
>> Gnome   2.22.3, but does confirm on 2.30)
> [...]
>> I think the docs would improve if they mentioned Esc to cancel and
>> talked about the Shift key. I think I ran into the Shift key behaviour
>> as I was experimenting and didn't understand what it was doing so I
>> would encourage the docs to cover this.
>>
>> I'd be glad to draft revised wording if that helps.
>
> Thanks for looking into this. The Desktop User Guide is obsolete and
> will be replaced by the new GNOME desktop help some time over the next
> couple of release cycles, so I don't recommend working on it any more.
>
> The focus of the new desktop help is to provide highly-relevant
> topic-based help to users. We will no longer be providing comprehensive
> function-by-function documentation for the whole desktop (justification:
> hardly anyone needs that kind of information), so it seems unlikely that
> we'll be documenting things at this level of detail.
>
> A possible exception is for people using assistive technologies. Is this
> sort of information useful for people using our universal access tools?
> If so, we could really use some help putting together topics on subjects
> similar to this for those users.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

- --