Re: [Fwd: Desktop User Guide Section 1.2.2 Window Shortcut Keys]

Hi guys,

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 16:19 -0400, Greg Knittl wrote:
> Re confirming the action:
> too broad: "press any key"
> too narrow (but correct): "Enter key" (Space key does not confirm on
> Gnome   2.22.3, but does confirm on 2.30)
[...]
> I think the docs would improve if they mentioned Esc to cancel and
> talked about the Shift key. I think I ran into the Shift key behaviour
> as I was experimenting and didn't understand what it was doing so I
> would encourage the docs to cover this.
>
> I'd be glad to draft revised wording if that helps.

Thanks for looking into this. The Desktop User Guide is obsolete and
will be replaced by the new GNOME desktop help some time over the next
couple of release cycles, so I don't recommend working on it any more.

The focus of the new desktop help is to provide highly-relevant
topic-based help to users. We will no longer be providing comprehensive
function-by-function documentation for the whole desktop (justification:
hardly anyone needs that kind of information), so it seems unlikely that
we'll be documenting things at this level of detail.

A possible exception is for people using assistive technologies. Is this
sort of information useful for people using our universal access tools?
If so, we could really use some help putting together topics on subjects
similar to this for those users.

Thanks,

Phil

--