Re: Strings change in evolution

On 7/28/08, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 28.07.2008, 15:22 +0200 schrieb Stéphane Raimbault:
>
> > 2008/7/28 Lucian Langa <lucilanga gnome org>
>

> >         -_Prompt when sending HTML mails to contacts that do not want
>
> >         them
>  >
>  >         +_Prompt on sending HTML mail to contacts that do not want
>  >         them
>  >
>  >
>  > The frequently used word is 'message' in Evolution not 'mail'.
>  > Why did you replace 'message' by 'mail'?
>

> Because this is the smaller problem if the preferences screen doesn't
>  fit on your desktop because of long strings. ;-)

If the strings don't fit in English, you can bet that most other
languages won't fit either. Many languages, e.g. German, are in
general a lot more verbose than English, and require room for this
verbosity.

So saying something to the effect of "I shortened an English word in
order to fit in the window/dialog" is a strong indicator that you have
got a lot more serious I18N problems... enough room in the
windows/dialogs from start, in order to fit longer translated
messages, is a key requirement for I18N.

Furthermore, terminology consistency is very important for translation
-- if "message" is what is used elsewhere in Evolution, it should be
used here too.

Christian