Re: Gnome and Ubuntu UGs (Was: string freeze?)

Hi,

* Joachim Noreiko:
> --- Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:
>> In the last cycle the problem was that our desktop
>> documentation was in
>> a single document, and the license of the UG doesn't
>> permit us to
>> incorporate it into other documents.
>
> So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the GFDL is hampering
> us.
> Could anyone explain why a supposedly free license is
> limiting our freedom?

The same would be true of any license which has a share-alike provision
- - you can't take a document and insert it into another document which
has a different license to the first one.

>> This release
>> cycle we have broken
>> down our documentation into different topics, with a
>> document per topic,
>> and so are hoping simply to include a couple of
>> documents (e.g.
>> "Documents, files and folders" and "Customising your
>> desktop"). These
>> would be taken from the UG in a way that is
>> compatible with the license,
>> I hope, and we would maybe add some sections based
>> on what we feel is
>> missing or different between vanilla Gnome and
>> Ubuntu.
>
> Right.
> We could do a chopping up of the UG into smaller
> documents at the Gnome end. The UG is a big monster
> that takes too long to load anyway (even with super
> souped-up Yelp 2.16)
>
> However, I'm concerned about ending up with funny
> little documents that don't really amount to much (the
> Tools section for example). Do you have a plan for how
> all sections of the GUG will end up, or only some of
> them?

Only some of them.

> Also:
> - there'd be a lot of scrollkeeper/makefile messing
> about that I don't know how to do
> - there'd be all the translations to see to as well.
>
> Maybe at the start of a cycle, if Shaun thinks it's a
> good idea?

See how we get on with it this release cycle, then see if similar ideas
will work for you too.

Just to return to my original question briefly, what would be
(approximately) a good time to do the fork that I've mentioned above?
I.e. when will the doc be relatively stable?

Matt