Re: Gnome and Ubuntu UGs (Was: string freeze?)

--- Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:

> > Have you managed to resolve the problem with the
> > different licenses? IIRC, that was what stopped
> this
> > effort last cycle.
> > How will it work?
>
> In the last cycle the problem was that our desktop
> documentation was in
> a single document, and the license of the UG doesn't
> permit us to
> incorporate it into other documents.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the GFDL is hampering
us.
Could anyone explain why a supposedly free license is
limiting our freedom?

> This release
> cycle we have broken
> down our documentation into different topics, with a
> document per topic,
> and so are hoping simply to include a couple of
> documents (e.g.
> "Documents, files and folders" and "Customising your
> desktop"). These
> would be taken from the UG in a way that is
> compatible with the license,
> I hope, and we would maybe add some sections based
> on what we feel is
> missing or different between vanilla Gnome and
> Ubuntu.

Right.
We could do a chopping up of the UG into smaller
documents at the Gnome end. The UG is a big monster
that takes too long to load anyway (even with super
souped-up Yelp 2.16)

However, I'm concerned about ending up with funny
little documents that don't really amount to much (the
Tools section for example). Do you have a plan for how
all sections of the GUG will end up, or only some of
them?

Also:
- there'd be a lot of scrollkeeper/makefile messing
about that I don't know how to do
- there'd be all the translations to see to as well.

Maybe at the start of a cycle, if Shaun thinks it's a
good idea?

> > I've been wondering if instead of you chopping up
> the
> > Gnome UG and inserting it into the Ubuntu UG, we
> could
> > expand and rearrange the Gnome UG to have
> ready-made
> > spaces for Ubuntu material to slot into.
> > This is the Grand Plan for Mallard, but the way
> the UG
> > uses XML Xincludes means we can do it now,
> providing
> > the licensing is ok.
>
> If, having read what I've said above, you still have
> some ideas in this
> direction, I'd like to hear them, definitely.

As far as I can tell, the only thing stoppping this is
the licensing. And I don't know enough about it to
know what needs to be done.

Also, one thing that I wonder about -- when we have
Mallard & the hypothetical Mallard FDL, doesn't that
mean the entire Gnome UG has to be rewritten from
scratch to be under the new license?