Re: Gnome and Ubuntu UGs (Was: string freeze?)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

* Joachim Noreiko:
> --- Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:
>> Is there a documentation string freeze this time
>> around? We are hoping
>> to rearrange some of the Gnome user guide for
>> insertion into our help
>> system (which will essentially involve taking bits
>> of the guide and
>> making them into single documents); but I'd like to
>> know that the guide
>> is stable before doing that!
>
> Nothing official, but we can arrange something :)
> I'm pretty busy with other manuals and the Gnome web
> team, so I can just fix a few open bugs on the Gnome
> UG and then declare it frozen.

Ok, let me know! :)

> Have you managed to resolve the problem with the
> different licenses? IIRC, that was what stopped this
> effort last cycle.
> How will it work?

In the last cycle the problem was that our desktop documentation was in
a single document, and the license of the UG doesn't permit us to
incorporate it into other documents. This release cycle we have broken
down our documentation into different topics, with a document per topic,
and so are hoping simply to include a couple of documents (e.g.
"Documents, files and folders" and "Customising your desktop"). These
would be taken from the UG in a way that is compatible with the license,
I hope, and we would maybe add some sections based on what we feel is
missing or different between vanilla Gnome and Ubuntu.

> I've been wondering if instead of you chopping up the
> Gnome UG and inserting it into the Ubuntu UG, we could
> expand and rearrange the Gnome UG to have ready-made
> spaces for Ubuntu material to slot into.
> This is the Grand Plan for Mallard, but the way the UG
> uses XML Xincludes means we can do it now, providing
> the licensing is ok.

If, having read what I've said above, you still have some ideas in this
direction, I'd like to hear them, definitely.

By the way, it's ok to just write to the list, you don't need to CC me
as well.

Matt