Re: Network Monitor applet manual

Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hey Malcolm,
>
> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 21:28, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 04:13, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
> > >     My only point of concern is if doing it this way makes it more
> > > difficult for you guys to update and develop the docs[1].
> > >
> > >     i.e. is it a problem for you if you check out gnome-netstatus and the
> > > icons aren't in gnome-netstatus/help/C/figures ... or would you always
> > > build and install the docs before trying them out ?
> >
> > On this issue I have no opinion, since I am not really somebody who
> > updates the documentation.
> > It's a little more onerous, but no more so
> > than checking i18n fixes (which also need to be installed to work).
> >
> > Possibly having a handy convenience script (make doc-check?) might be
> > easier.
>
>         If there is a problem, I'm assuming that docs writers typically don't
> need to build the module in order to update the docs - so a Makefile
> target wouldn't be of use and we could just do a
> build-image-symlinks-for-docs-writer.sh script.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.

Hi Mark,

to answer your question, I do not generally build and install the docs to update
the docs -- I check the docs out of CVS for that purpose. However, I do build
and install the software module to see what changes have been made, which
I think builds the docs too, so I can probably use that to check the figures?
The script that you suggested sounds like a good double-check.

In any case, the advantages of the approach that you suggest seem to outweigh
any potential disadvantages. Let's try your suggestion and see how it works out
:)

Regards,
Breda.