Re: [Scrollkeeper-devel] question re: marking index terms

On 28 Mar 2001 20:53:32 -0700, John Fleck wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 09:35:46AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > What I'm really having a problem understanding is how we make the help
> > browser and scrollkeeper talk together for this index.  Looking at the
> > first markup that Mary gave an example of, there is no "id" tag for
> > these index terms.  Without an id tag, I'm not sure how the help browser
> > would know which occurance of the indexterm to link to.
>
> I think the ScrollKeeper indexing must be able to support this type of
> index markup, by keeping track of the id of the enclosing block (sect or
> whatever). It's important that we have a tool that is general, and can
> be applied to all valid DocBook, rather than trying to force our
> writers to use a subset.

I agree with you that scrollkeeper should be general, but we're already
asking writers to use a subset of DocBook in the Handbook, and because
of gnome-db2html2.  We have to impose some rules on our docs, or they'll
become inconsistent, and unprofessional.  Erm, didn't mean to rant,
sorry.
Anyway, I think that's a technically feasible solution for SK (at least,
I can't see any reason why that's not possible).  Thanks,

    Greg