Re: < vs. >

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk> writes:

>   &lt;something>
>   &lt;something&gt;

> With the second form, I can see where I am. It's.. prettier :)

Sometimes I like the Baroque more than Classicism :)  The first form
shows that the writer has a good technical background...

Kenny Graunke <kwg teleport com> writes:

> I agree with Ali and Telsa, this is less confusing and looks better. However,
> I think it would be a good idea to have the software (gnome-db2html2, etc.) to
> support the first (translate it to &gt;) as well, since it *is* valid, and we
> may not update all docs before GNOME 1.4.

Exactly.

> Using &gt; looks better,

Not to me...

Ali Abdin <ALIABDIN aucegypt edu> writes:

> I did this, but then I removed the code before I commited it. I prefer to
> leave it as-is for now (so people can convert their docs), and then I
> could put in this behavior.

You've to support ">"  -- otherwise your software is broken (please,
read the XML specification).

John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net> writes:

> OK. Seeing what appears to be an emerging consensus, I'll add this to
> my list of stuff to change for 1.4.

As usual, `tidy' is your friend -- `make' should normalize the docs with
(sgmlnorm and) tidy and these normalized SGML or XML files should be
intstalled (`make install').

--
work : ke suse de                          |          ------    ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |         ------   _-\_<,