Re: < vs. >

* Karl Eichwalder (keichwa gmx net) wrote at 02:36 on 13/09/00:
> Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk> writes:
>
> >   &lt;something>
> >   &lt;something&gt;
>
> > With the second form, I can see where I am. It's.. prettier :)
>
> Sometimes I like the Baroque more than Classicism :)  The first form
> shows that the writer has a good technical background...

How does using a '>' instead of &gt; show good technical background?!?!

> Kenny Graunke <kwg teleport com> writes:
>
> > I agree with Ali and Telsa, this is less confusing and looks better. However,
> > I think it would be a good idea to have the software (gnome-db2html2, etc.) to
> > support the first (translate it to &gt;) as well, since it *is* valid, and we
> > may not update all docs before GNOME 1.4.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > Using &gt; looks better,
>
> Not to me...

We can't please everbody :)

> Ali Abdin <ALIABDIN aucegypt edu> writes:
>
> > I did this, but then I removed the code before I commited it. I prefer to
> > leave it as-is for now (so people can convert their docs), and then I
> > could put in this behavior.
>
> You've to support ">"  -- otherwise your software is broken (please,
> read the XML specification).

True. Unfortunately, I just discovered today that the entire TOC just printf's
stuff in between the TOC (we resolve entities in libxml so it shows the &lt;
as '>'). We need to resolve entities otherwise when you '#include' docs (as
entities) the TOC won't generate if we don't resolve this entity.

Anyway, if you are going to a specific sect or chapter, I can handle this in
sect_print (which all the tags use), but the TOC does not use sect_print - It
just uses 'printf' so I can not handle it.

> John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net> writes:
>
> > OK. Seeing what appears to be an emerging consensus, I'll add this to
> > my list of stuff to change for 1.4.
>
> As usual, `tidy' is your friend -- `make' should normalize the docs with
> (sgmlnorm and) tidy and these normalized SGML or XML files should be
> intstalled (`make install').

Ummm - sgmlnorm will not be mandatory for SGML docs as far as GNOME is
related. But people are free to add an sgmlnorm step in their Makefile's if
they wish. Of course, final decision of this lies with Dan Mueth.