Re: GNOME development tools; A more United future?

"David T. Bath" wrote:

> Bingo.  And that's gonna be a REAL pain when you get into the advanced
> object-relational stuff like Oracle, or Postgres with that cute little
> KDE program "koalas" (did anyone see that?)

Yeah. I wrote a basic object level wrapper libary over libpq.  Kept it
simple to start
from as just want a fully working system.  Build on it once its down.

> > > Be a pain for someone to go though each db and find out how to get the
> > > information
> > > and add the support.
>
> It depends whether you have the ANSI SQL info views or not.
> USER_TABLES, ALL_VIEWS and the like have been in the standard
> for years, but not universally implemented, and apart from the
> old KnowledgeMan, darn difficult to use with flat files or xBase
> which is needed by a generic rdbm access method.  Even then,
> KnowledgeMan required you to run a procedure to populate the
> tables, taking a list of files (tables) and/or directories
> as arguments.
>
> Microsoft Access of course refuses to give it to you.  Might be
> too informative.
>
> I'll have to go and look at the SQL specs, (haven't got anything
> more recent than all three vols of SQL-92).

I could feel myself pushing the system to the SQL'92 specifications
in what i wanted out.  Kinda difficult building a UI based on just
a database so you need as much info as possible.  I dont think
a lot of databases would work with the system because it would require
very closely matching the SQL'92 requirments.