Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

El d_ 27 Jul 2001 15:25:45 +0200, Philippe Roy escribi_
> Hi,
>
> > I remember talking with you (I think) about you using libgda. Did you
> > find problems/limitations in libgda for not using it? if so, please tell
> > me which ones
>
> The major reason is "I don't want a CORBA requirement, optional only".
> I don't understand the problem solved by CORBA for an open source platform.
> Building components ? I think there are better way: shared lib, plug-in,
> guile, command line, pipe, (soup ?), ... .
>
> I'm sorry, I don't have a great experience with corba apps (panel, control
> panel, ...).
> They are big, slow, unstable, with overcomplicated code and with a
> nightmarish installation.
> I don't want imagine this in intensive production context. I think there
> are others solutions.

Well, then. wouldn't you port your application to GNOME 2.0?. It's 100%
CORBA based because the use of Bonobo :-?

> So making the gda plug-in interface wasn't the priority.
> When ? I don't know, next month perhaps.
>
> > We're also working on a report engine. So, Carlos, maybe you could talk
> > with Philippe to see if we can have something useful for both projects,
> > if possible. In fact, we're also planning to use XSLT (with XML, not
> > with LaTeX)
>
> Printing without LaTeX ?
> I think it's really important to have a human readable file before the
> printer.

Well, we will had .pdf/.ps/.html/* possible outputs and with the gnome
interface, the gnome-print preview screen.

> About the report system, I'm inspirated by glade, by framemaker and
> presentation software.
> I think a GUI for building xsl file or LaTeX class is the solution for all
> publication problem (paper/web, listing/presentation, ...).

We will build the report interface with something like glade (or perhaps
directly with glade, I don't know) and the output will be a xml file
that will use our DTD (it's at libgda/report). This xml will be
translated into .ps, .pdf,.html and perhaps into LaTeX (all this filters
will be plugins, so you could create all the outputs you want).

This technology will be based on Bonobo && CORBA and I don't know if it
will fits into your requirements...