Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

Hi,

> > > I remember talking with you (I think) about you using libgda. Did you
> > > find problems/limitations in libgda for not using it? if so, please
> tell
> > > me which ones
> >
> > The major reason is "I don't want a CORBA requirement, optional only".
> > I don't understand the problem solved by CORBA for an open source
> platform.
> > Building components ? I think there are better way: shared lib,
> plug-in,
> > guile, command line, pipe, (soup ?), ... .
> >
> > I'm sorry, I don't have a great experience with corba apps (panel,
> control
> > panel, ...).
> > They are big, slow, unstable, with overcomplicated code and with a
> > nightmarish installation.
> > I don't want imagine this in intensive production context. I think
> there
> > are others solutions.
>

> Well, then. wouldn't you port your application to GNOME 2.0?. It's 100%
> CORBA based because the use of Bonobo :-?

Is GIMP include in GNOME 2.0 ?
I didn't say "never", I'm not enthusiastic only (like lot of users).
Perhaps a bridge between guile and bonobo ?

> > So making the gda plug-in interface wasn't the priority.
> > When ? I don't know, next month perhaps.
> >
> > > We're also working on a report engine. So, Carlos, maybe you could
> talk
> > > with Philippe to see if we can have something useful for both
> projects,
> > > if possible. In fact, we're also planning to use XSLT (with XML, not
> > > with LaTeX)
> >
> > Printing without LaTeX ?
> > I think it's really important to have a human readable file before the
> > printer.
>

> Well, we will had .pdf/.ps/.html/* possible outputs and with the gnome
> interface, the gnome-print preview screen.

> > About the report system, I'm inspirated by glade, by framemaker and
> > presentation software.
> > I think a GUI for building xsl file or LaTeX class is the solution for
> all
> > publication problem (paper/web, listing/presentation, ...).
> >

> We will build the report interface with something like glade (or perhaps
> directly with glade, I don't know) and the output will be a xml file
> that will use our DTD (it's at libgda/report). This xml will be
> translated into .ps, .pdf,.html and perhaps into LaTeX (all this filters
> will be plugins, so you could create all the outputs you want).

Pdf and Postscript aren't human readable. HTML isn't a printing format.
I don't understand why the GNOME platforme ignore the better printing
system called LaTeX, very strange ?

A report system have 2 parts : extracting and formating.
Are they independants ?

xslt seems good for the xml transformation : xml->xml, xml->html,
xml->sgml, xml->latex, xml->txt, xml->csv, xml->svg, xml->... .
Why we need plug-ins ?
The ps is generated with latex after the 'xml->latex' xlst operation.

The main task of the formating system is only create the xls file.
Perharps the associated file format of the report system is the xls file.
Why not ?

In the latex case, the formating system can create the class file too.
In the html case, the formating system can create the css file too.

A+
Philippe