Re: [gnome-db]gnome-db and Report Writing

On 26 Jul 2001 23:38:33 -0400, Daniel Morgan wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has considered a Report Writing tool for GNOME Office
> that has features found in Crystal Reports?

yes, Carlos is working on this, but I think our approach is a bit more
ambitious, since, apart from offering a nice GUI for executing the
reports, it will allow distributed reporting, since it's a CORBA-based
client/server architecture.

> GNOME Basic which will be the VBA like script found in GNOME Office can
> be used for scripting purposes in a Report Writing tool.

well, I don't mind at all adding support for VBA scripts as an optional
features, but I'd prefer to use Perl or Python for this. Although, it
would be nice to let people write scripts in VBA also.

> I can see Glade being used as a report designer for this report writing
> tool.   I wonder what other designing or printing software that is out
> there?

yes, we've also thought about using Glade for this. About printing
software, I don't think we've got special needs, since the report engine
will be able to convert the report outout to different formats, and then
people will just have to use their normal printing method (lpr).

> Of course, we couldn't do something like this without gnome-db for a
> database connectivity.

does this "we" mean that you want to volunteer to help on this? :-)
if so, that would be great, since I think Carlos would need some help to
have a good report tool.