Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

Hi,

> I remember talking with you (I think) about you using libgda. Did you
> find problems/limitations in libgda for not using it? if so, please tell
> me which ones

The major reason is "I don't want a CORBA requirement, optional only".
I don't understand the problem solved by CORBA for an open source platform.
Building components ? I think there are better way: shared lib, plug-in,
guile, command line, pipe, (soup ?), ... .

I'm sorry, I don't have a great experience with corba apps (panel, control
panel, ...).
They are big, slow, unstable, with overcomplicated code and with a
nightmarish installation.
I don't want imagine this in intensive production context. I think there
are others solutions.
So making the gda plug-in interface wasn't the priority.
When ? I don't know, next month perhaps.

> We're also working on a report engine. So, Carlos, maybe you could talk
> with Philippe to see if we can have something useful for both projects,
> if possible. In fact, we're also planning to use XSLT (with XML, not
> with LaTeX)

Printing without LaTeX ?
I think it's really important to have a human readable file before the
printer.

About the report system, I'm inspirated by glade, by framemaker and
presentation software.
I think a GUI for building xsl file or LaTeX class is the solution for all
publication problem (paper/web, listing/presentation, ...).

> no, I haven't, but I'm going to install it one of these days. Are there
> debian packages?

I haven't got packages, not yet.

A+
Philippe