Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On 26 Jul 2001 21:58:38 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >>My conception is of GNOME-DB as providing a GUI configuration process, a very
> >>simple tool for blasting out arbitrary SQL statements,  and a widget set (much
> >>like Borland provides for its development platforms).  Under the theory that a
> >>great DB-aware widget set + good development tools (GLADE, etc...) will yield
> >>abundant and good database applications.  I think this formula has worked very
> >>well for that other operating system.
> >that's a very good point for concentrating on the GDA engine and the
> >widget set, and just have gnomedb-fe be a tool for making things quickly.
>
> And for making sure something like GLADE stays in sync with GNOME-DB
> releases.  (I have no idea of the current state of things).

the current state is that some widgets are supported. That is, you can
create a
.glade file with GNOME-DB widgets in it, but that's all, unfortunately.

So, Adam, another good point for concentrating on this

> >>Yes. I'd almost classify gnomedb-fe as a "utility" rather than an "application".
> >this is nice for me, only am I thinking about end users, which may be looking
>
> I have ~200 users,  many of whom use Access based apps, but using the
> Access run-time.  Query and form builders would very much confuse them.
> The full version vs. run-time option is a nice feature.  Small machines,
> users who just want to do X, etc...  benefit from discreet modules.

well, for the "small machines" problem, there's an easy solution, which is to
separate gnome-db packages into small pieces/plugins (libgnomedb,
libgnomedb-dev,
gnomedb-core, gnomedb-superkool, etc)

But yes, Adam is quite right: the top priority for gnome-db/libgda is to
make sure
all the development environment (widget set and data access engine) is
as powerful
as possible, and just provide simple access to all libgda features from
the UI.
Special stuff would go to gASQL or other apps.