Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On 26 Jul 2001 22:23:55 +0200, Philippe Roy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the main programmer of toutdoux (project manager).
> I think M$ Access is really a good software (the better of m$ ?).

well, I disagree, I really think it is very limited (for more advanced
users), although it is great in UI and ease-of-use.

> I think the database for the project management must be free.
> In fact, the project managament need a lot of specifics data. Time isn't
> alone.
> So, I added a schema editor (called cogitation) in toutdoux.
> The data querying is coded in pure SQL (postgresql).

I remember talking with you (I think) about you using libgda. Did you
find problems/limitations in libgda for not using it? if so, please tell
me which ones

> All interfaces (tree, gantt, network, plot, ...) are plug-in with the Guile
> (internal system command, scripting, ...).
> All computations (scheduling, ...) are plug-in with differents languages
> (prolog, octave, ...).
> I want add a report system with LaTeX and XSLT.
> So, I make an ACCESS too, not a clone, but the same goal.

so, another competitor :-)
We're also working on a report engine. So, Carlos, maybe you could talk
with Philippe to see if we can have something useful for both projects,
if possible. In fact, we're also planning to use XSLT (with XML, not
with LaTeX)

> Are you tested ToutDoux ?
> What are you think ?

no, I haven't, but I'm going to install it one of these days. Are there
debian packages?