Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:12:57AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2001 17:50:25 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 04:58:36PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > want in GNOME-DB. And this reminded me of another thing, which I've been
> > > thinking for a while, Vivien, which is to merge the functionality in
> > > gASQL into GNOME-DB, and make one killer app instead of 2 good apps.
> > > Also, if we support some of the things that are in gASQL in GNOME-DB,
> > > we'll make a big pain to gASQL, since I suppose people won't install an
> > > app that does the same that GNOME-DB, and which itself depends on
> > > GNOME-DB. I know this means some extra work, and please note that by no
> > > means do I want to "kill the competition" :-) by merging gASQL into
> > > GNOME-DB, of course not, but I really think there should be a good app
> > > for DB access in GNOME (like there is in Windows, with Access, Paradox,
> > > etc) instead of 2 with redundant functionality, or with stuff supported
> > > in one and not supported in the other one
> > >
> > > so, should I shut up or is there something interesting in what I say?
> > >

> > No, I think this is worth thinking about.
> >
> > When I started gASQL (before I knew about GNOME-DB), I had the same need as you (and I
> > still have). I decided to use GNOME-DB because it offers a solid foundation and allows
> > to connect to many databases in the same way.
> >
> > About a possible merging, I agree with you about the fact that we should not duplicate
> > our work. I've thought about the respective positions of gASQL and GNOME-DB, and I think
> > the two products are complmentary. Let me explain:
> > * about the archutecture: for the two, libgda is the common engine
> >
> yes, I've even thought myself to concentrate on libgda and leave
> GNOME-DB almost as
> it is, with only some additions

I would like to move forward more on this part because this is what everything relies on
(specifically for the MySQL and Oracle providers)

> [...]
> >   to connect to a database, a tabular view of a recordset, etc), and of some higher
> >   level applications like gnomedb-fe and the rolodex (which I believe does not evolve a lot
> >   anymore). gASQL uses the GNOME-DB "low level widget" and is also a high level application
> >   (like gnomedb-fe).
> > * now, about gnomedb-fe and gASQL: in my point of view, the two do not cover the same area: I
> >   see more gASQL like an "acces like" application, and gnomedb-fe like a swiss army knife
> >   for the databases. They do however have some functionnalities in common. I do use gnomedb-fe
> >   sometimes when I want to do some things without all the constrains gASQL imposes.
> >
> > I agree that at the moment gnomedb-fe lacks some functionnalities that gASQL has
> > (or will have): the queries designer, the forms edition mode.
> > The trouble is that to have these functionnalities, a lot of overhead
> > is needed (keep gASQL informed of the possible datatypes, functions, relationships between
> > tables' fields, etc) which is too much if a user wants to make a simple SQL query and get
> > a result fast.
> >
> > So, to summarize, I would say that we need the two applications. However what could be nice
> > is:
> > * show the two applications as part of GNOME-DB: we could say that GNOME-DB is made of
> >   two applications that are gnomedb-fe and gASQL and has a GNOME-DB-devel package to
> >   make your own applications using parts of gnomedb-fe or gASQL
> >
> yes, whichever decision we make, I think gASQL should be included as
> part of the GNOME-DB
> project, or as a "recommended" application. We could even coordinate
> releases
> so that latest gASQL always works with latest GNOME-DB.
>
> > * work on gASQL to make different components reusable, and bind gnomedb-fe and gASQL more
> >   closely.
> >
> I can think of 2 solutions based on what you say:
> * have gASQL as another Bonobo component of GNOME-DB, in the same source
> tree,
> etc
>
> * have gASQL as another Bonobo component of GNOME-DB, but having it as a
> separate
> program that, when installed, integrates nicely into gnome-db. That is,
> as we're
> already using a custom CORBA interface for gnomedb-fe to communicate
> with the different
> components, we could have gASQL implement this interface so that, when
> installed, it
> is seen as another part of GNOME-DB. That was the motivation when I
> wrote the CORBA
> interface, to enable extensions, and gASQL seems like a good extension.
>
> another solution would be to leave GNOME-DB as it is (adding report
> execution when
> the report engine is done, and some other little things), and
> concentrate o libgda
> (I mean myself) specially. This could even be done in one of the above

Right now it is not possible to treat gASQL as a component (it is too much closed on
itself for that right now).