Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On 27 Jul 2001 15:25:45 +0200, Philippe Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I remember talking with you (I think) about you using libgda. Did you
> > find problems/limitations in libgda for not using it? if so, please tell
> > me which ones
>
> The major reason is "I don't want a CORBA requirement, optional only".
> I don't understand the problem solved by CORBA for an open source platform.
> Building components ? I think there are better way: shared lib, plug-in,
> guile, command line, pipe, (soup ?), ... .

well, the problems CORBA solves are software reuse, platform
independence,
language independence, network transparency, etc. I think it's worthy to
make
use of it. By doing so, you make your app available from any language,
platform, machine, etc that supports CORBA.