Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect

>>>yes, they're supported, although only a few of them, and only
>>>partially. But for development you can now use the libgnomedb
>>>library, which offers some of the features found in VBA (DB-oriented
>>>widgets).
>>Can anyone throw me some URLs to examples?
>the best examples are in the gnome-db source code (gnome-db/components
>and gnome-db/frontend) where all these widgets are used.
>But yes, we need some easy examples... oh, yes, the ones that Brian
>added the other day might be worth looking. They're at
>gnome-db/testing

Hey,  They even compile!

>>>very nice!
>>Thanks.
>>>Would you mind if I put a link to that document in the
>>>GNOME-DB site. I think it explains very well the whole architecture,
>>>so it
>>Wow!  So I might even be close to understanding all this stuff?! :)
>yes, you are :-)
>>>might be very nice to have it available.
>>I probably need to check with the company (Armstrong International)
>>that hosts the LUG website (for free) out of courtesy,  but I don't expect
>>that linking to it would be a problem.
>ok, let me now if I can do it, and I'll add the link as soon as you tell
>me so

Ok, please link to -
ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/dbaccess.pdf

I'll replace this with newer versions as I go.

To anyone who cares the problems/mistakes in it so far are:
1. The version of unixODBC is old, the text driver now has a GUI setup module
which is a major change.
2. As of 0.68 Gnumeric now seems to ship with Bonobo enabled and with GDA as a
plugin, but I need to confirm this.  The presentation states the opposite.

I intend to include/add the following items:
1. Using "proprietary" UNIX platform ODBC drivers such as those for Informix,
DB2, and Oracle.  And hopefully how to ties these drivers into unixODBC.
2. Compiling PHP to support unixODBC and a simple code example.
3. Mention of libodbc++ for using ODBC in C++
4. GNOME-DB dependency information.
5. GNOME-DB widgets available in GLADE
6. A simple example of a GNOME-DB program,  probably stolen from the testing
directory (it worked out-of-the-box for me).
7. More information on gASQL.
8. Mention of GNUe

If anyone can think of something else they think would be good to include please
let me know.  And since I'm at it I do have a few "general" questions:

1. There was rumblings about a GDA binding for PHP.  Did anything ever happen
with this?
2. Will things like XML queries work for non-SQL data stores like LDAP and mail?
3. Will the migration from generic-corba-gda to bonobized-gda change the API and
break current applications?
4. Is anyone thinking about a GDA backend for GNUe?

Also... (why not just ask for everything)...  I'd really appreciate it if:

1. Someone could build gASQL RPMs with the current version of gnome-db.  It is
giving me fits.
2. Explain the "Batch" option in gnomedb-fe,  maybe I'm overlooking the obvious,
I can't seem to get it to do anything.

Systems and Network Administrator
Morrison Industries
1825 Monroe Ave NW.