Re: where to put tar storage object...

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 01:18:51PM +0100, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> I think it should be a storage module. But there is a design conflict -
> we have to redesign/extend the plugin system to make this work (some
> storage's are able to work on bonobo streams)

Well, the current system could work fine, I think.. bonobo_storage_open
should just be passed "tar" as the driver, and the tar plugin should
attempt to open the stream from the given path; although it would be a
tossup to decide whether to force the path to be on the local filesystem,
or to use vfs, etc.

> And maybe it is possible to make the untar moniker a little bit more
> generic, so that it can handle several archive formats (efs, tar, zip -
> if we have an appropriate storage module).

Sure, but I'm not quite sure how to handle this -- change the moniker
prefix to "unarchive:"? But then you'd have to go through each storage
module that supports a stream and basically ask "can you handle this",
since you don't have the mime type.. even the mime type doesn't help you
much if someone decides to leave the suffix off the archive file. Or you'd
have to put the magic-detecting code into the moniker, which sort of
defeats the purpose of a generic moniker.

> Should we move the moniker test to the test sub directory?

Maybe; I didn't put it there since the tests in the test dir were
more non-interactive automatic sanity-check tests, rather than a tool
to debug/develop moniker stuff.. hmm, maybe it should go into tools, then?

	- Vlad