Re: where to put tar storage object...

Dietmar Maurer <dietmar maurer-it com> writes:

> I think it should be a storage module. But there is a design
> conflict - we have to redesign/extend the plugin system to make this
> work (some storage's are able to work on bonobo streams)
>
> We should also add storage drivers for http and ftp to the storage
> modules directory (does they exist somewhere?).
>
> And maybe it is possible to make the untar moniker a little bit more
> generic, so that it can handle several archive formats (efs, tar,
> zip - if we have an appropriate storage module).

All of this functionality (http, ftp, tar, zip, etc) is already
present and works in gnome-vfs. I have to wonder why Bonobo is
duplicating all of this functionality, instead of using gnome-vfs. Or
at least it seems to me like it would be way easier to fix
bonobo-{stream,storage}-vfs.[ch] than to write all this new code.

gnome-vfs is also getting support for more and more cool stuff like
NFS, SMB, digital cameras, ssh, etc, and continuing to duplicate all
this seems wasteful.

Is there a good technical reason to write a whole new virtual
filesystem instead of layering on top of the existing one?

 - Maciej