Re: Conceptual questions

Am 02.07.2010 17:26, schrieb Richard Hughes:
On 2 July 2010 16:07, Florian Höch<lists+gnome-color-manager hoech org>  wrote:
For proofing, without BPC is a must of course. But for image ->  arbitrary
display/output space, defaulting to BPC "on" for relative colorimetric seems
to be the right choice (and will surely avoid some "why are my blacks
crushed" cries from users :)).

So, for 'Print Preview' these make sense:

perceptual
relative-colormetric
relative-colormetric-bpc
saturation
absolute-colormetric

and for 'Display':

perceptual
relative-colormetric
saturation
absolute-colormetric

I'm not completely sure of all the nuances of BPC myself, so I would
certainly appreciate any pointers and corrections. Thanks.

Actually, for both print preview and display BPC can make sense, it all depends on the combinations involved (always assuming the print preview intent is for the image -> simulated device transform, not the simulated device -> display transform). The key is when print preview is used, the transform to the display must not use BPC (or perceptual/saturation). But when print preview is not used, then BPC makes a lot of sense for display imho, to avoid crushed blacks (e.g. conversion from a working space like AdobeRGB with 'zero' blackpoint to a display profile with 'lighter' blackpoint). I hope I'm making sense.

--
Florian Höch
http://hoech.net