Re: Conceptual questions

Am 01.07.2010 20:23, schrieb Richard Hughes:
On 1 July 2010 19:00, Florian Höch<lists+gnome-color-manager hoech org>  wrote:
I think is missing for softproofing is a checkbox "Simulate media (paper)
color" which when checked (which would be a good default), means absolute
colorimetric intent should be used, otherwise relative colorimetric

Isn't that a per-application thing, rather than a per-session thing?
By "softproof" GCM indicates the proofing mode to use when doing
things like print preview. In a print preview aka "softproof" you
already know the device you are targeting and the ICC profiles
available.

Ok, sounds reasonable. If the device/profile being simulated is chosen in the application, there's probably no need for GCM to provide settings for a default "softproofing" colorspace.

I also think it's useful to talk in terms of use-cases, rather than
presenting lots of tickyboxes in preferences panels. I've got enough
feedback (of the negative kind :-) from my boss about the number of UI
elements we expose already. Maybe if we all refer to the three people
here http://live.gnome.org/GnomeColorManager#Typical_Users we can all
work towards further use-cases and application notes.

:) don't worry, I'm not keen on having a GCM plastered with checkboxes either. Re use cases: My original inquiry would fit in no. #4 ("An application wants to softproof for a printer device to show the user how the colors are going to be clipped when the file is printed"). Now you already said thats probably a per-application thing. I'm just trying to wrap my head around where the current GCM "softproof" intent setting comes into play, what users are choosing with it exactly (like I said, my assuption was it is the image -> device being simulated transform, in which case it makes sense to expose all four intents), and how it interacts/relates to the "display" intent setting (which should then actually be ignored for softproofing by an application).

I do think this is a really important discussion and am really pleased
you're onboard. Thanks.

Richard.

--
Florian Höch