Re: Conceptual questions

Am 02.07.2010 16:56, schrieb Richard Hughes:
On 2 July 2010 15:21, Florian Höch<lists+gnome-color-manager hoech org>  wrote:
Personally I'd probably label the current "softproof" intent setting as
"print preview" or something along the line.

Yes, good idea, I've done this in git master.

Nice!

And I think adding an option for BPC would indeed be a nice touch. Rather
than adding a checkbox or other additional control, just another intent
"Relative with black point compensation" could be added to the dropdown
lists.

Do we every want to do relative /without/ BPC?

For proofing, without BPC is a must of course. But for image -> arbitrary display/output space, defaulting to BPC "on" for relative colorimetric seems to be the right choice (and will surely avoid some "why are my blacks crushed" cries from users :)).

Some wild thinking: Users can already choose their preferred
applications for different filetypes/tasks. Maybe in the future, users can
choose the preferred calibration solution in a similar way?

Sure, GcmCalibrate is superclassed by GcmCalibrateArgll and
GcmCalibrateManual, and it would be pretty easy to make that pluggable
using GIO extension points. One for the future perhaps.

Cool. I agree it's still a bit early.

Richard.

--
Florian Höch