Re: 1000 bugreports in one day, every day

On 6/3/06, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
While 1000 bugs per day would be nice for my bugzilla points (most
of the bugs should be duplicates for crashers), there's no way for us
to manually deal with this number of bugs.

My opinion:
- I doubt it'll hit 1000, even with the changes.
- If repeated crasher bugs become too big of an issue, we can deny the
common ones at the bugzilla level (bkor has done this before -- see
halloween/bugzilla.gnome.org/crashers-map.txt)
- This would probably make it easier for bugsquadders to find a bug
which is a dupe, and the easier that is, the easier it is for us to
recruit help.  We've scaled with bugzilla over the last 7 years or so,
I think we can keep doing so.
- I think the simpler-dup-finder is useful and will make bugsquadders
more efficient (see
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/dupfinder/simpler-dup-finder.cgi).  It may
also provide us a way to warn users that bugs they are filing are
potentially duplicates before they finish filing them (see
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/dupfinder/simpler-dup-finder.cgi?simpleform=true;
we may be able to integrate it into the bug submission process)

So, I'm guessing it's not anywhere near as big of a problem as you
might suspect.  Of course, then again, metacity only gets about half
as many bugs as gnome-panel, and a much smaller percentage are
crashers, so maybe it's easier for me to be brave.  ;-)

Do we have an estimation of the amount of work required for this?
Even without adding the debug information, it will be helpful to
reduce the number of bugs...

Well, there's always Benoni's instrumented builds which did this and
which was used to come up with some pretty good fixes too.  I guess
that's one way of handling this.  But it looks like fer and bkor have
other ideas...