Re: 1000 bugreports in one day, every day

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 08:46:16AM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le jeudi 01 juin 2006 à 22:39 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
[..]
> > This will remove a lot of the reasons I can think of why we are not
> > getting a 1000 bugreports a day. So I have to wonder what happens when
> > 2.16.0 is released with the perfect Bug-Buddy.
> > There are a few more ideas to make filing bugreports easier. What
> > happens if those are implemented? Will Bugzilla still be usable?
>
> While 1000 bugs per day would be nice for my bugzilla points (most of
> the bugs should be duplicates for crashers), there's no way for us to
> manually deal with this number of bugs.

I agree, so what are our options? The XML-RPC Bug-Buddy will likely be
released soon. That would only be for 2.15.x (only a slight increase).
The 1000 bugreports a day would only be if the new Bug-Buddy avoids all
the reasons why we are not getting these bugreports today. And also it
would be less than 1000/day initially. It will go up as more stable
GNOME versions have it (2.16.x, 2.18.x, etc).

This would also mean still getting crashers for 2.8.x and 2.10.x. Only
supporting current stable and previous stable removes about 30% of the
theoretical number of bugreports.

Another solution I want is automatically blocking using the stacktrace.
We would have some UI in Bugzilla to avoid certain bugreports getting
in. The stacktrace would be linked to the version number to avoid
regressions being unnoticed. Such a system/UI does not exists, but I
could add it afterwards (and pretend that the original bug was created).

> > I do not like that crashers are filed in Bugzilla. I rather have that
> > done (optionally) anonymously using some system that shows top crashers.
> > The system should also add the debug information in some way (Fer has
> > some thoughts on this). That would be far better then having all these
> > dupes.
>
> Do we have an estimation of the amount of work required for this? Even
> without adding the debug information, it will be helpful to reduce the
> number of bugs...

Fer has to answer this one. It is like Talkback in Mozilla/Firefox
software. Talkback however is not open source, nor does it deal with
with software compiled elsewhere (it is only available the builds
compiled by Mozilla).

Of course, the unique stack traces should still go to Bugzilla. I just
want something in between.

--
Regards,
Olav