1000 bugreports in one day, every day

I posted some stats about Bug-Buddy usage per GNOME version at:
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/ovitters/2006/05/31/0

I couldn't really make any conclusions about it and the comments on that
blog also point that out (unfortunate, because I hoped someone would see
something insightful).

I did make one conclusion from these figures. I'll quote the comment I
made on my blog:

The only thing I find interesting is that we have nearly 30K of unique
people getting the bug-buddy XML files in approx. one month. As they are
starting Bug-Buddy I'd expect them to file a bug. 30K in one month is
about 1000 bugs per day.
We do not nearly get that amount of bugreports per day. We couldn't even
handle that amount of bugreports.

I can guess at some causes;
- The need for sendmail
- Port 25 not being blocked by the ISP/company
- The requirement for an email address (which I will never change)
- Difficulty of using bug-buddy

A few of those will be fixed in an upcoming Bug-Buddy version. That will
support XML-RPC to submit bugs, it will support proxies (bypassing most
firewalls) and simplify the bug-buddy interface a lot.

This will remove a lot of the reasons I can think of why we are not
getting a 1000 bugreports a day. So I have to wonder what happens when
2.16.0 is released with the perfect Bug-Buddy.
There are a few more ideas to make filing bugreports easier. What
happens if those are implemented? Will Bugzilla still be usable?

I do not like that crashers are filed in Bugzilla. I rather have that
done (optionally) anonymously using some system that shows top crashers.
The system should also add the debug information in some way (Fer has
some thoughts on this). That would be far better then having all these
dupes.

However, very soon the new Bug-Buddy version will be released. It is
needed, and it will be released. I just wonder about what happens after
that...

A quick check shows that for last month bugzilla.gnome.org received
about 3393 bugs. This amount to ~ 110 bugs per day (created via the
website and via Bug-Buddy).

Perhaps people see the crash dialog, click 'Inform Developers' and after
that choose not to file a bug. Probably within 6 months we will found
out how often this happens.

--
Regards,
Olav