Re: Orca on laptops.

Bill Haneman writes:
> Thanks Will.  That clarifies things somewhat - we're using the term
> "modifier key" differently.  Maybe I'll contact you offlist for info on
> the internal details.
>
> So does that basically mean this whole discussion of orca on laptops is
> moot, or at least addressed fully via orca.settings.orcaModifierKeys
> (possibly with a UI for changing it easily) ?
>
> Bill

I shouldn't think so. This discussion has already pointed out that
CapsLock is the established default modifier for JFW users on Windows
and for Speakup users on Linux. Furthermore, it is reasonable to expect
that no new application is likely to adopt CapsLock for it's own uses,
i.e. we run the least risk of conflict both today and tomorrow by
defaulting to CapsLock as the default Orca laptop modifier.

Of course, the fact that this is established practice and widely
expected by users both on Windows and Linux should really end this
discussion, from the user point of view.  Choosing anything else will
certainly cause continuing confusion and displeasure among users, so
there'd need to be extremely powerful arguments to choose anything else.
I haven't heard arguments yet in this thread that strike me as
sufficiently convincing to look for some other modifier.

It's available, achievable and remappable, and it's what users expect.
What else do we need to put this one to bed?

Janina