Re: [g-a-devel] Slow keys dialog

"The very same thing" refers to where you say that disabled users will
complain if the onscreen keyboard conflicts with sticky keys.

What I am trying to say is that an onscreen keyboard should work
whether sticky keys is on or not.

Surely an application changing system wide settings just so it can
run, is an accessibility violation as the user might rely on
non-sticky behaviour on the physical keyboard.  In other words one
input device should not change the behaviour of all the others.

You keep referring to xkblib.  To get this to work I would have to
change the x config to have an extra keyboard device.  The XTest api I
am currently using does not allow me to specify which keyboard device
I am emulating either.  I have difficulty seeing how I could use this.

I understand the need for the dialogs.  If the system-wide settings
are changing then I agree a dialog is needed.  This is yet another
reason why I do not want to change the system wide settings.

I can see why GOK behaves as it does.  My opinion though is that it is
not acceptable, another method must be found to solve the issue.

Bill Haneman said:

Bear in mind that ANY onscreen keyboard that uses the mouse will fail to
work properly when used to pop up menus, etc. via keyboard navigation,
because of system toolkit pointer grabs.  Are you aware of that fact?
It will strike your onscreen keyboard as well.  This is the reason for
GOK's somewhat brittle configuration requirements, and the reason you
are warned not to use GOK via the system core pointer.

I find this difficult to understand, surely pop up menus are a pointer
operation to begin with, and that it is possible to emulate this with
a physical keyboard.  I fail to see the point of emulating this
emulation with a pointer.  Except if one was using a pointer to
emulate a scanning device.  Perhaps it would make more sense to
disconnect the core pointer when GOK enters it's scanning mode?

Maybe it is just impossible to design a one-size fits all onscreen
keyboard.  As evidenced by GOK, the result is a keyboard that is
accessible to everyone but usable by no-one.

On 27/06/06, Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman sun com> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 01:42, Peter Korn wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> One more thing.  You write:
>
> > Using the system wide sticky keys means I need to have at least one
> > dialog box when my keyboard starts and is therefore completely
> > unacceptable.
>
> Have you filed an RFE on this issue (seeking a way to invoke the
> system-wide Sticky-Keys functionality programatically without the user
> dialog box),

This is trivial to do.  If you modify the key via gconf API, either by
linking to gconf or just spawning a gconftool-2 command line, then you
can change these settings without triggering the warning dialogs.  If
this has somehow regressed (it has worked on every system I know of, for
several years), then a bug needs to be filed.

Billy