Re: [g-a-devel] Slow keys dialog

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 22:28, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> > In other words I cannot spend the summer making gnome-a11y suitable
> > for my needs.  What I need is a temporary work around until after the
> > SoC when I could find time to work on this aspect of gnome-a11y and
> > fix my program so it is not an "accessibility violation".
> Chris,
>
> Can you not simply make SOK remember that shift was pressed and keep the
> state internally in SOK? IOW:

We tried this with GOK at an early stage and it was not satisfactory.
It also clashed badly with StickyKeys.  It doesn't make sense to build
an onscreen keyboard and then not expect disabled users to try and use
it, and they will rightly complain if it conflicts with StickyKeys.

If you really are unwilling to turn on the global StickyKeys gconf key
while the onscreen keyboard is posted, or at least when the pointer is
inside it... (and I really do not understand why this would be a
problem) there is XKB ABI which you can use to change the latch/lock
status of individual modifier keys.  This should do exactly what you
want without making StickyKeys active for the physical keyboard.

google for XKBlib.pdf to find the XKB client manual, I believe it's
section 10.6 that has the relevant client APIs.

regards

Bill