Re: [g-a-devel] Slow keys dialog

Hi Chris,

I think there are two issues here.  Well, three:

1. Can an on-screen keyboard implement "sticky" modifiers without using the system support for sticky modifiers? 2. Can an on-screen keyboard circumvent/disable the system support for sticky modifiers (and slow keys, and...)? 3. Is the right way to "fix" what is "broken" in GOK doing another project rather than working with the existing GOK code to "fix" those "broken" things?

I suggest that #3 may be somewhat religious at this point; I'm personally saddened that we aren't at least looking seriously at GOK improvements, but fundamentally a goal of UNIX accessibility is to foster the development of a rich accessibility ecosystem - and a rich ecosystem has room for multiple approaches to similar problems (cf. Orca and Gnopernicus and LSR).

I have no issues with #1 - I see no reason why an on-screen keyboard cannot have its own way of making certain modifiers sticky on its own user interface *without* doing so through the system-wide setting mechanisms. Such a decision is I think a valid user-interface policy decision of an individual application.

However, it is a direct Section 508 violation for an application to override or ignore system-wide accessibility settings. It is even more egregious for an application that claims to be at least in part for people with disabilities (and thus an 'enlightened' application) to do so.

So, my suggestion is that if you simply cannot possible use the system-settings for sticky keys as part of your own UI, that you make things sticky your own way; however that if the system-wide settings are on that you use and respect those (complete with the dialog box that you seem to dislike).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

But this very same thing makes it very awkward who want sticky keys on
the keyboard and non-sticky on a physical.  Which would be true for
all non-a11y users and some a11y users.

In the end though the only manner it interferes with my keyboard is
the annoying dialogue that pops up, and the average  gnome-ally user
will probably be plenty used to seeing annoying dialogs anyway.

The slow keys dialogue however is another matter though.  Normal
operations are not resumed until it is dismissed.  Which in itself
incredibly annoying.

When planning the SOK I wanted to stay away from the three odd dialogs
that GOK pops up when it is started.  The plain fact is I don't want
any dialogs when starting SOK.  At all.

Using the system wide sticky keys means I need to have at least one
dialog box when my keyboard starts and is therefore completely
unacceptable.