possible repost gnome panel failing, new installation of ubuntu 6.06

Hello,
My apologies if this is a repost. I didn't see it go through. I had some sighted assistance today and did an install from the live CD,
that's disk1 is that correct? Disk1 has the accessible install, i was not
sure when to push f5, when the system booted off CD there was a choice run
or install, i pressed f5 there and no go. I then with help hit install. The
disk churned a while, loading, then i got a ubuntu startup sound, which i
thought was a great way to let people know that things are well. Should i
have hit f5 there? Anyway, i got another prompt, run or install or a
variation of, again i chose install, and i talked my help through, the
install itself was painless. The box rebooted, i logged in, x fired right
up, and all is well. I believe i now have the desktop version of ubuntu
installed with gnome 2.14 and gnopernicus. I'm going to jump ahead of myself and go beyound the event sequence, after i get the error i'm about to talk about i went alt+f2 then punched up gnome-terminal. I put in the source CD and did a sudo apt-get install ssh openssh-server, entered my password and was asked if i wanted to verify authenticity of packages. I answered yes and it was unable to verify and the install exited. I then up arrowed, ran the command again and this time answered no, got the openssh server installed. I am not sure why i am getting these authentication errors. Ok, before that i logged in, went alt+f2 and typed in gnopernicus wanting speech. Now i did hear the startup sound when i logged in so i know sound was working. I got a popup box with no speech output. My sighted assistance told me that it was an error: "Gnome-panel has failed unexpectedly." And did i want to restart, inform developers, or cancel. I hit restart, and tried the command again, with the same results. I am not sure what to do now. I'd like to solve this problem with gnome-panel and hopefully that will solve why i do not have speech. This box has ssh so if anyone can help i can make an account.
Thanks a lot.
Dave.