Re: Dectalk 5 test results.

Hi

Al Puzzuoli wrote:
i'm not sure how much you could ascertain by
listening to the orca demo at csun,but I would be curious as to what your
thoughts are as to the speech quality of 4.64 vs that of 5?

There is certainly a difference in quality between 4.6.4 and 5.0. The 4.6.4 version used at the csun conference sounded to me quite a bit like the classic Dectalk voice. With the 5.0 version I noticed the voice sounds like it has a head cold, kind of a stuffed nose sound, and also a bit of a foreign accent or something to it. I am sure you have heard IBM TTS, and the new Dectalk sounds like a cross between IBM TTS and Dectalk, and that is the best I can explain it. Personally, the new voice doesn't bother me that much, and I still like it although I would have rathered it stay the classic voice, but the new is ok by me. I can certainly understand Dectalk purests wishing for the classic Dectalk sound, but compared to FreeTTS, Festival, etc Dectalk 5 is still superior for day to day use and quality of speech in my opinion.