Re: Is Debian appropriate for accessibility?

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Willie Walker wrote:

Hi All:
In general, I've noticed that people have an easier time achieving
success on Ubuntu than Debian.  As a result, I've recommended people use
Ubuntu if they were willing to give it a try.  These recommendations are
based solely on the desire to see users have success, and I have no
hidden agenda to push one distribution over another.

I think that there are a few more factors to take into account. The Ubuntu live disc doesn't fire up on my computer. The reason for this is probably that my computer is an HP Pavilion, which means that it has a Nvidia Riva graphics adaptor and a Connexant Riptide modem and soundcard. Since I haven't managed to get this soundcard to work with Etch, in spite of the fact that Linux 2.6.18 does have a driver for it, I've put in an SB Live soundcard, which probably confuses Ubuntu.

Another factor which seems to affect how the systems work, is the presence of a mouse or not or, at least, if a mouse driver is loaded. I had to make sure that mousedev is loaded in order for gdm to work.

I think it's important that we're aware of what factors will affect the successful running of adaptive technology - video driver, mouse driver, BIOS settings etc.

If this kind of info is already available, I've missed it and apologise and promise to do better.

Bertil