Re: a couple of things about openoffice writer

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> I have a couple of issues as regards Openoffice writer.
> When I am creating a document, if I were to make a mistake and press the
> Backspace key to delete it it just says "Backspace."

What would you like Orca to say?

> Is this problem anything to do with my version of Orca which is the one
> that comes with Edgy by default or the fact I need to update Openoffice
> on my Laptop as when I installed Edgy on it I didn't get chance to get
> the latest updates which it was asking for when I first installed Edgy.

Running the following commands at the terminal should ensure you have
the latest version of OpenOffice.org bundled with Edgy (2.0.4):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade openoffice*

Note the asterisk at the end of the second command (to match multiple
OpenOffice.org packages).

There is now a newer release of OpenOffice.org (2.1) but it has not yet
been packaged for Ubuntu.

> For some reason I can track what I am writing with the standard cursor
> keys and it is reading what I am typing.

What would you like to happen instead?

> Also how do you insert a date in a document?

In Writer:

1. Put the cursor where you want the date to appear
2. Press alt + i to get to the Insert menu
3. Press d to select the Fields sub-menu
4. Press d to insert a date field

There are lots of other fields; some like Time and Page Number are
available from the Fields sub-menu. But if you want to insert a more
obscure field:

1. Put the cursor where you want the date to appear
2. Press ctrl + F2 to open the fields dialog
3. Select your field of choice
4. Press alt + i to insert it

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis