Re: gnopernicus and CD writing software

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:11:28PM +1100, Jason White wrote:
> Kenny Hitt writes:
>  > Hi.  I need to start by saying I haven't tried to burn Cd's in Gnome.  I
>  > have no problems burning Cd's from the console.  The commands can be put
>  > into scripts to make it very easy.
>
> Agreed.
>  >
>  > Gnopernicus has made large parts of Gnome accessible, but it's still not
>  > there yet.  Linux is very accessible from the text console using
>  > speakup, yasr, or emacspeak.
>
> True. I have been using Linux exclusively for the last five years,
> with Emacspeak as the primary interface. Still, there are a few
> purposes for which I am planning to use Gnome and Gnopernicus, most
> notably Mozilla, once it works well with speech and braille output.
>
> I will probably try Openoffice for testing purposes, but I don't much
> like Wysiwyg word processors in general; I prefer to write in LaTeX,
> or sometimes in HTML directly if the document is destined to become a
> Web page. If I need a spreadsheet, however, then the most powerful
> applications in this domain are Openoffice and Gnumeric, which again
> should become accessible via Gnopernicus at some point. There are
> probably other cases in which the best tool for the task just happens
> to be a gnome application, and that is why, even on the most
> self-interested and narrow-minded view of the matter, Gnome
> accessibility is important.
>
> Of course I also believe this work to be highly significant from the
> broader perspective of accessibility to a wide range of current and
> potential users of Linux and other Unix-like operating systems. It
> also has the potential to contribute toward the evolution of user
> interface libraries so that they take account of multiple modalities,
> not just the GUI, as a standard part of the infrastructure of the
> desktop environment.

I agree with you.  I posted my message because I wanted to let the guy
know that gnopernicus isn't enough to give you access to Linux.  I've
started using gnome for somethings and I am also waiting on access to
mozilla.  I will always use some console apps just because I haven't
heard of any equivalents in the GUI.  Mutt is a good example.At the risk
of starting a war, mutt rules!

          Kenny