Re: gnopernicus and CD writing software

Kenny Hitt writes:
 > Hi.  I need to start by saying I haven't tried to burn Cd's in Gnome.  I
 > have no problems burning Cd's from the console.  The commands can be put
 > into scripts to make it very easy.

Agreed.

 > Gnopernicus has made large parts of Gnome accessible, but it's still not
 > there yet.  Linux is very accessible from the text console using
 > speakup, yasr, or emacspeak.

True. I have been using Linux exclusively for the last five years,
with Emacspeak as the primary interface. Still, there are a few
purposes for which I am planning to use Gnome and Gnopernicus, most
notably Mozilla, once it works well with speech and braille output.

I will probably try Openoffice for testing purposes, but I don't much
like Wysiwyg word processors in general; I prefer to write in LaTeX,
or sometimes in HTML directly if the document is destined to become a
Web page. If I need a spreadsheet, however, then the most powerful
applications in this domain are Openoffice and Gnumeric, which again
should become accessible via Gnopernicus at some point. There are
probably other cases in which the best tool for the task just happens
to be a gnome application, and that is why, even on the most
self-interested and narrow-minded view of the matter, Gnome
accessibility is important.

Of course I also believe this work to be highly significant from the
broader perspective of accessibility to a wide range of current and
potential users of Linux and other Unix-like operating systems. It
also has the potential to contribute toward the evolution of user
interface libraries so that they take account of multiple modalities,
not just the GUI, as a standard part of the infrastructure of the
desktop environment.