Gnopernicus speech issues

Having a problem very similar to one discussed here
recently. Wondering if anyone can offer any advice?

I grabbed the new unpatched libtool, and gnopernicus now builds fine
on Debian. Speech initialization has inexplicably begun failing,
however, and my .xsession-errors isn't any more specific than noting
that it failed and nothing else.

I can't think of what I may have changed that may have prevented
gnome-speech from working, other than upgrading several
packages--unfortunately I don't recall which, as I assumed that
upgrading things to 2.4.1 was a safe move. I had atk/at-spi libraries
built from CVS, though I replaced these with up-to-date Debian
packages when they became available.

I also tried an upgrade of gnome-speech, and suspect that this is
where my problems lie. The results of running configure look fine;
gnome-speech claims to build festival/viavoice drivers, which is
perfect. I also have
festival-synthesis-driver/viavoice-synthasis-driver binaries in
$(prefix)/bin. Running test/test-speech, however, simply prompts me to
pick a server without listing any as it once did, so something appears
to be very, very icky. I've tried running test-speech both directly
from the CVS tree and after running 'make install', but both yielded
the same results. I've also purged Debian's outdated libgnome-speech1
packages, wondering if perhaps they were conflicting, but this didn't
work either.

Any suggestions?