Re: For First-Time Users of X-Server

Toby:

When you start the X server, all the subshells you get in the GUI have
$DISPLAY set.  But the console from which you started X does not, as you
note.

For many/most standalone configurations, using a $DISPLAY of ":0.0"
should work.  However this is just a common default, so it's not a
foolproof solution.  Examining the xinit program as configured on your
system should help show the DISPLAY that your server is configured to
use; "man X" may help.

Of course most of this stuff is not normally intended for "end users",
for most casual users the details are all hidden by the GUI's login
dialog, etc.  So since access to the GUI for blind users is very much a
work-in-progress, please excuse the inelegant exposure of these details.

- Bill