Re: Performance of Gnome and Gnopernicus

Hi Adam / John,

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 04:42, Adam Myrow wrote:
> I would like to know this as well. I hate to say it, but as pleased as I
> am that Gnopernicus does something, I have to say that Gnome strikes me as
> a very bloated, slow desktop.

	For what it's worth - the problem is in fact not Gnome, but the latency
inherent in the event emission mechanism that is used; we can speed it
up very substantially with relative ease;

>  It also depends on what speech driver you are using.

	This is prolly an architectural issue in gnopernicus / gnome-speech.
Someone needs to sit down with a debugging ORBit2 and
ORBIT2_DEBUG=traces:timestamps - and see what's going on.

	One of the problem is that per event, the application hangs until the
registry has emitted the events to each AT (serially, blocking until
each has finished processing the event).

	Another thing would be to do asynchronous unrefs / more aggressive
caching; can you try doing a tweak for me and seeing if it helps ?

	If you hack at-spi/cspi/spi_main.c (cspi_object_unref): and just #ifdef
out the body of the method - that may save a number of round-trips, at
the cost of some leakage at the client; it'd be interesting if that
makes a noticable difference.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot